Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Deer Creek/Green Lake, Dixie National Forest, Utah- May 2013

Finally, it was time to hit the trail. This was my first backpacking trip of the season, and a good one at that. The Uintas are still snow bound, and a few weeks out, but Boulder Mountain has melted all the way off, and the area is in the early stages of spring. This is an awesome area, and unique in the wilderness systems here in Utah. After catching my last turns until next winter on Friday, me and my friend Dave headed for Torrey to access HWY 12. We arrived in the evening, and had a beautiful walk in. After taking in a great sunset on the march to the Great Western Trail, we arrived at the junction to watch the moon come up over the tree tops. This was really neat as the moon was huge, and lit up everything. We continued on, and were just really loving the temps and the moon light. We got to the Deer Creek junction and it was starting to get dark. So we made haste to get to the camp spot. We found a great spot, sheltered and has everything you would need. We settled in for a fire and some dinner, then it was lights out.

I had a great nights sleep, and awoke to sunshine and mild temps. We got it together after breakfast and decided to give fishing a whirl. We made our way up to Green Lake, and gave it a shot at catching a fish. This is a picturesque lake tucked in on a scree shelf that is really isolated from the rest of the area. I was trying out my new fly rod on this trip, and only had a couple of bites, but I did not land one. We could see big fish swimming in there, but I tried everything I had with me fly wise, and to no avail. Still nice to be out there in the sunshine fishing the day away. As evening gave way, we headed back to camp after giving Deer Creek Lake a shot, which also only produced a bite or two, but nothing landed. We made our way back to camp, and got a good fire going. Temps were a bit colder this night, so the fire was for sure a great thing to have. I stayed up and shot some photography, getting some great images. A really nice star trail too which the full moon light painted my foreground for me. Sunday was time to head home, which always leaves me torn on wanting to stay or go. I could have used a few more days out there.

On our way out, there had been three dad/son combo's sleeping just on the other side of the ridge we were camped next to. They packed up and just left their fire still hot with smoldering logs and hot coals in very windy conditions. We put the fire pit all the way out, saving what could have been a potential danger to the area. All in all it was a great weekend, and very nice to be out in the woods backpacking again. Enjoy the slide show below of pics from the trip, and this party has just started, more to come this summer for sure.
djnebula's Deer Creek Lake Dixie National Forest Utah album on Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment