Thursday, May 23, 2024

Powder in May? Late Season Storm, Big Cottonwood Canyon, Utah- May 2024


I thought my season was over. When I broke my finger in March, I was for sure I was done for the year. But winter had other ideas, and made a huge comeback the first week of May here in the Wasatch! 20-36" of snow fell over the range. On Cinco De Mayo, the Salt Lake Valley got accumulating snow! That is the latest I have ever seen accumulating snow in the valley. The mountains got hammered! I decided that I would get one more day out to close it out proper for the season!

I decided to climb the Millicent side of Brighton which was closed for the season, and just stay on safe low angle terrain. The climb up was fun, getting blasted by blizzard conditions! The snow was deep, but very thick which was going to present some challenges on the way out. I really got into the zone as I climbed on the skin track. My objective was the Twin Lakes Dam, and that is where I topped out.

I made the switch from tour to ride, then took it all in! Hard to tell if this was January 7th or May 7th. The winds started kicking up and I decided to just drop in to get out of it. It was thick, surfy in spots, but hard to turn in others. I weaved in and out of the track to keep my speed up as I made a few turns and sat on the tail to keep the tip up when needed! The final pitch was the best part, it was steep enough to rally some surfy pow turns in, and I rode the escalator on the tail to the bottom on the very last section. What a crazy spring storm! But a totally great day that does not come often this late into spring! Enjoy the pics and watch the YouTube video below to see the ride home! More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment