Thursday, May 23, 2024

Northern Lights In Utah! May 2024


On May 9th, the Space Weather group with NASA recorded a G5 geomagnetic storm from the sun, which we have not had since 2003! This meant that we were going to have a chance to see the Northern Lights. Friday I was at home and unable to get out remote, but I was able to witness them from my backyard here in the Salt Lake Valley! It was an incredible display, and something that I was actually surprised was as brilliant as they were, and the visibility was something I have never seen this far south before! I soaked it in for almost an hour before it started to fade to the horizon.

Saturday night the Space Weather Center had forecasted from continuing Coronal Mass Ejections, that a G4 was likely and that we would see the northern lights once more! I headed to Stansbury Island in the Great Salt Lake. It was crowded, but I don't think the majority of the people out there even saw them. I got there early enough that right before sunset they started to show on the horizon. Right at twilight they were showing, and at the end of twilight, they only lasted for a short time. I timed it just right and was able to capture from first visible to peak before they went away for the night! It was really neat to knock this bucket list even off my list! Since I was staying till morning I decided to shoot a star trail. It turned out much better than expected. Of all the astronomic events I have photographed, the Aurora Borealis has become my new favorite! I have learned so much about them in such a short time, and when the chance comes to see them again, I won't pass it up! Enjoy the pics! More photography to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment