Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Hickman Bridge, Capitol Reef National Park, Utah- April 2024


Spring is here! It was time to visit the desert again, and this year I had a new adventure lined up. I had originally planned to connect with a friend the week prior to this trip, but weather concerns and some personal details had me delay this trip a week. I am sure glad I did! The weather on tap for the weekend was near perfect! I made the drive to Capitol Reef National Park, and stopped at the visitor center to get my backcountry permit for overnight stay on the trail I was here to complete! After getting my permit, I stopped at the Frutia Petroglyphs, which are some of the most amazing to look at! After getting my fill of rock art, I moved on to the Hickman Bridge trailhead. I put on the pack and headed on in. There is a rock fall section, which you can tell since my last visit had more of the wall collapse on the trail. The trail is clear but the rocks are huge! I hit the first switchback, the view started to open up and show off why this trail is such a good one!

As I continued to climb, the sandstone monoliths started to come into view. There were some reptiles on trail. Several different kinds of lizards native to this area. They were out suning on the rocks probably enjoying the warm air like I was. It was nice to be in the desert again! This trail after climbing a few hundred feet, drops you into a small wash that you cross to climb up to the final part of the trail to the natural bridge. Up the final section which was so nice with the light!

Hickman Bridge is 125 feet tall, and its span is 133 feet, making it one of the largest spans in all of Capitol Reef National Park. It is a really unique setting. I found a place on the back side of the arch, and took a seat to relax for the first time since hitting the road. I moved out the back part of the trail to the rim and did some photography. Then it was time to make my way out and go find a camp for the night before hitting the trail for my first backpacking trip of the year! The hike out was very nice, in the shade a lot and was really quiet as most of the visitors had left. This is one stop in the park that you should not miss. Enjoy the pics and watch the video below from my YouTube channel! More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment