Friday, October 13, 2023

Fall Backpacking, Uinta Mountains, Utah- October 2023


I knew that winter was knocking on the door by the temps I had on my last trip. I wanted to get one more trip out in the Uintas before winter reclaims that high terrain. I saw a window in the forecast and in 24 hours put together my pack and headed out to the Uintas. The drive out was very pretty with fall colors for my eyes to feast on as I made my way to the trailhead. It was about perfet temps for hiking but a bit more windy than I prefer. I put on the finishing touches on the pack and headed in. The colors in the meadows were stunning. Crystal clear skies and near mid day sun made for a beautiful day on trail. I made my way up to Ruth Lake, then went off trail to head to my spot.

I arrived at my destination and made my way to camp. I dropped the pack and began to lay out the footprint for my tent. I big bull moose walked up into my camp not 10 yards from me. I dropped my tent bag on a rock and ran into the trees. I got in a group of trees that if he charged he couldn't get me. He saw me bolt and decided I guess I was'nt worth it and walked the opposite direction. I walked back into camp filming him as he moved off. I think he could tell I was'nt s threat and went to the creek near camp. He then moved on and I was able to set up camp. I put my fly rod together and went fishing. I had some luck, but they were small. I think this lake was recently stocked. But they were pretty. I went back to camp, got out the Tenkara, and fished the creek behind camp, and then circled the lake to see if I'd have any luck. I got hit by several but only landed one. I then went back to camp.

My buddy Steve, who is Packs A Lot on YouTube came in around dusk. We tried to fish for a minute by the moose came back and I think he wasn't to happy to see us. He did avoid us ad traveled the meadow bhind our camp. Dark came early and we got the fire going and settled in for the evening. Some fun photography and a nice relaxing night by the fire. Just what I needed! Right when we turned in, the moose walked through our camp grunting as they do. He went away after a few minutes. Then it was all quiet.

Morning came and with it clear skies and strong wind came as well. I got up and enjoyed the sunrise and my coffee and then packed up camp. No sign of our moose friend so we threw on the packs and went for a off trail loop of the area. We made it up to Teal Lake, fished for a while, then moved up the basin. On our way to the next lake, we found a water way with some really nice Cutthroats in it! I fished the Tenkara rod and what a treat to be fixed line fishing dry flies! Then we moved up to Cutthroat Lake. I had one on, it seemed like a big one, but unfortunately it got off. The wind blew me out of there and we made out way out. Passing Jewel, then Liberty, me and Steve parted ways at Hayden Lake, as he wanted to fish it on the way out. The rest of the hike was nice though really windy. I made it to the Jeep to close out my last backpacking trip in the Uintas for 2023! A couple of days after this trip it snowed up there! Winter in the Uintas has arrived! Thanks to Steve for coming out! Enjoy the pics! Check out my YouTube video from the trip below! More advntures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment