Sunday, October 22, 2023

2023 Annular Solar Eclipse Hike, Wasatch Mountains, Utah- October 2023


This year presented something that I will remember forever. A once in a lifetime chance to see an annular solar eclipse over Utah was upon us! Ocotber 14th, 2023, our area was in for a 80% eclipse, and I wanted to see if I could get some timelapse and an image from this cosimc event. I decided to not travel and deal with the crowds to see the totality. 80% here was going be enough to make it interesting. I hit a local trail near my home and started the hike just as the Moon was taking its first bite out of the Sun. It was pretty hiking in. Most of the front range was still in shadow, and there was a very nice Sundog showing off right over the ridge. I made it to my spot and began to set up my gear to try to capture this event.

Shortly after setting up my filters it went totality! As the camera gear ran, I watched through my eclipse glasses and it was quite the sight to see! It was like a halo around the moon that rotated around it as the sun went across the sky during totality! When totality ended the sun looked like a cheese wheel that the moon was taking smaller bites off of it before it moved completely off the sun! What a cool experince to hike to a beautiful sopt and experince this!

After a thrilling eclipse I wanted to loop hike my way out of the canyon and enjoy some of the fall colors on display! I am so glad that I did! The colors were fantastic and such a treat on trail. The leaves in sections covered the trail creating quite the experience with the light. A feast for the eyes to say the least. I had such a great time on this hike! Enjoy the pics and timelapse! Be sure to check out my YouTube video from this hike! More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment