Saturday, June 26, 2021

Solo Solstice In The Uintas- June 2021

I had the opportunity to get out for an overnight trip and I took full advantage of it. Got up early, made the drive to the Uintas, and arrived at the trailhead to a mostly empty trailhead lot. I put on the pack and had a empty trail up to the first lake. There were a couple of people but the least crowded than I have seen in the past. Up over the divide to the next lake then down to the next. From here to my spot wasa off trail, and a fun adventure.
After hoping over deadfalls and navigating off trail, I found myself standing at the lake I was shooting for. I headed in and found the camp I wanted. I got shop set up and then I went fishing. The wind was pretty bad so after about an hour, I moved downstream to a river system and meadow that I was hoping had a surprise. Alas the 30 min excursion produced nothing but I did see a 6" fish in there so I think its a spawner pond. Back up to my lake where the gail force winds were now blowing. I sat in for some lunch then tried another angle on the lake that had a bit less wind, but was still tricky to cast in. I gave this a shot for a bit, but returned to camp empty handed as the winds were just not in my favor.
Evening set it and I gave fishing one more shot as the winds had calmed and it was my last shot before dark. I had a rise next to my fly, but other than that nothing. I did manage to catch a nice shot of the moonrise and the alpeglow on Lofty Peak before retiring to camp for the night.
Night fall came and I put out my D810 for a star trail. On a normal year I would be just sitting by the fire waiting for the camera to finish but there are Stage 1 fire restrictions in place so the whole range you cannot build a fire. So I just got the Luci lamps set up and cracked a cold one and sat and watched the stars shine as my camera did its job. Finally I was ready for bed so I gathred up my camera after shooting for nearly two hours and hit the sleeping bag.
Morning came and I got up and tried fishing again, but only to have the same result. I returned to camp to have coffee and then decided to pack it up and head to the lake above mine to see how the fish activity was on the way out. The hike was pretty with a series of creeks and small falls and a gorgeous meadow on the way up. I arrived at the lake and they were indeed jumping. I fished and got two on but both wiggled off before I got them in. It was a tough fishing trip. I threw the pack on and made my way out. The first human I saw was almost near the trailhead. I peaceful trip for the solstice, tough on the fishing but big on the hiking. Enjoy the images, and YouTube video, like and subscribe if you like! More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment