Sunday, June 6, 2021

Memorial Day Weekend In The Uintas- May 2021

I decided to do an overnight into an area I was hoping had melted out. I made a early dearture into the Uintas and met up with my buddy Dustin. We threw on the packs and headed in. The start of this off trail jaunt was not too bad and we just had to navigate around the piles of snow. But the higher we went the more consistent the snow became. There was one post hole that I had to get on my knee to get my leg out. It was big piles of snow and deadfalls all the way up to the lake we were shooting for. After a couple of miles we arrived at the lake.
We had to cross the river to get to where we were thinking about camping. We found some boulders out of the river that we navigated and then searched for a camp. After a bit of hunting we settled on a spot that just had enough open ground to set up shop on. After getting camp settled we put the fishing gear to together and headed out to try our luck. There was a bit more snow on shore than I expected and the ice was covering about half of the lake still, but left enough shore line open to be able to cast. I took some video and some time lapse while I gave it a shot. I did get one hit on the Tenkara, but alas nothing landed. We decided to head back to camp for some lunch.
Back at camp we settled in for something to eat and the sun popped out. We decided to give fishing a go again and fished for hours. The scenery was amazing while out casting, I took another time lapse of the clouds and the light playing on the peaks. Just a beautiful day and a nice way to round out May.
Evening set in and dinner and a fire were on tap. The temps took a dip and that made us stoke the fire, I had Buffalo Mac and Snikers for desert. The alpenglow that painted the peaks at sunset was just amazing to see! Unfortunately the clouds never cleared out so no astrophotography on this trip. We had a nice night by the fire and then turned in for some much needed sleep.
Morning came and we decided with the snow crossings that were in our future to head out early. We took a gamble following the outlet of the lake and that seemed to pay off most of the way out. Only a couple of piles to cross and not even as bad as when we came in. It wa a longer route and we had to cross the river a few times to get out, but over all a beautiful walk in a new area I had not previously visited. A great weekend with good company on a Holiday Weekend that had no crowds. I haven't had one of those for a while. Enjoy the videos and time lapse, and check out my YouTube video from this trip I have posted below. More adventures to come......

No comments:

Post a Comment