Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Twin Lakes, Big Cottonwood Canyon- 6.9.2015

The forecast was for 90 degree temps in the valley, so I decided a higher altitude was in order to beat the heat. I headed up Big Cottonwood Canyon, driving in some serious rain falling in the lower part of the canyon. By the time I reached the Silver Lake parking lot, only a few drops were falling. Once I had my trail shoes on, the sun was out and everything was beautiful. I started my way in, and headed up the Twin Lakes Trail. Very green, and amazing temperatures. Everything was perfect. I must be getting my hiking body back, for minus a couple of pictures from the Silver Lake Overlook, I went straight up this hike all the way to the lake. I usually meander to where I am going, but today I seemed to have this need to push myself uphill. It felt really nice!

Finally up to the dam and I was standing lake side at a very low Twin Lakes. Lowest water levels I have seen in a couple of years. There is still a lot of snow to melt out of Mt Milicent and the Wolverine Cirque, so I expect they will go up a bit. I made my way along the west side of the lake as far as I could go before post holing was going to be the only way to carry on. I found a nice spot to relax and take in the view, and just enjoyed myself while I was there. On the way out, some dark clouds moved in and a light sprinkle started coming down, and made for a very nice hike out. I caught some great images up there. It was great to be back up at Twin Lakes. Just a week or two more and the high terrain and peaks in the Cottonwoods will be all accessible. I am looking forward to it. More adventures coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment