Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Catherine Pass, Wasatch-Cache National Forest- September 2022


I took a weekend home from the Uintas because I had fall cleaning to do. I did not know if I was going to get out for a hike untill I powered through it all on Saturday. So that left Sunday for me to get some miles in and possibly Tenkara for some trouts! I had not been up the Catherine Pass trailhead in a very long time so I thought I would visit this favorite of mine in Little Cottonwood Canyon. I made my way to the end of the road, thne parked the jeep and began on foot. It costs $10 to drive the road one mile. I saved myself the $10 and hiked the road for the first 1/2 mile, then you make a right which is the start of the Albion Meadow Trail. This is easy hiking and well graded switchbacks which wind you up to the Sunnyside lot, the start of the Catherine Pass trailhead.

This trail has some steep sections but is relatively short to the pass. The veiws were great and the temps were just about perfect to slightly warm. The hike to the pass was uneventful, but I did have this section alone and enjoyed the silence as I made my walk. Arriving at the pass it was breezy, and just lovely to see the fall ground cover colors contrasting with the greens still in the trees.

Even though the wind was blowing pretty good, I had brought my Tenkara rod with me so I decided to take the 1/2 mile hike down to Lake Catherine to give it a shot. I found a spot that seemed less windy and I tossed a line. The first bug got nothing. But as soon as cast the second dry fly, it got hit right away! I put it back out and got hit again! This time I had a fish! Nice little brookie, and nice to be Tenkara fishing once more! Evening comes earlier this time of year so it was back up to the pass, then back to the Jeep to head home! The evening light was nice and the veiws of the canyon were really sweet! After 6.4 miles I was back at the Jeep and headed home. A great fall hike for the first weekend of fall! Enjoy the pics! Make sure you watch my YouTube edit posted below for the full immersive experience! More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment