Thursday, September 15, 2022

Granddaddy Basin, High Uintas Wilderness- September 2022


After doing the Uinta Highline trail, I was not sure when I would return to the High Uintas Wilderness. I was fortunate to schedule a trip with my best friend Jared to visit Grandaddy Basin! We left early on a Saturday morning and we made our way to the trailhead. It was a holiday weekend but it was less busy than I expected. I knew no one would be in my secret spot so all we had to do is make the hike in and we would have solitude till we hiked out on Monday. The push to the pass was hot and dry, in fact, this side of the Uintas is the driest I have seen all year. We made the pass in about an hour and then made the descent into the basin.

We meandered down the trail passing several lakes until we made our break off trail and on to my secret spot! It was unusually warm for being over 10,000 feet so we got camp set then sat in the chairs in the shade till evening. I ventured out to our secret spot and tossed a line! Got some nice fish on, and even had a monster break off my line and steal my fly! We returned to camp at dusk and got out fire going. After a great dinner and some good times by the fire, and shooting some astrophotography it was off to bed.

We had a great nights sleep and woke to warm temps and made coffee and breakfast. Then we put together camp and headed out for a off trail adventure. We visited several lakes that were promising for fish, but alas produced nothing. In our wanders, we found this amazing overlook and we spent quite a bit of time up there enjoying the cool breeze. We moved on to try our luck at fishing but alas only a couple of strikes, nothing landed. We eventually made our way back to camp and setteled in. I was determined to catch a fish for dinner and boom second cast I had a massive brookie on! I fished till dusk, then we go our fire going and prepped our fish! This was absolutely top three all fish dinner I have ever had! After our pescatarian feast, we setteled in for our last night by the fire! What a night it was for star trails and the moon lighting up the basin! We coaled out our fire for a good nights sleep!

Morning came and it was time to pack it up and head home. We were on trail early and to the vehicle by noon! This was a really great trip to celebrate freindship, accomplishments, and finishing the UHT! Enjoy the pics and make sure you watch my YouTube video for a full exeperience of this trip! Please Like & Subscribe! More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment