Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Solo Summer Solstice In The Uintas, Uinta Mountains- June 2022


The summer solstice is a special time for the mountains of Utah. It signals the peak of daylight that we receive and is the turning point as we peak in summer but the days get no longer than on the Solstice. There was a weather pattern that had settled over Northern Utah and I made my way into the Uintas for a overnight trip. As I made my way up the highway, the rain turned to snow and when I got to Bald Mountain Pass, the snow was sticking to the road. I turned around and went down to Washington Lake to see if it would break up or if I was scrubbing this trip due to unforeseen weather.

The clouds eventually broke up enough I threw on the pack and headed in. It was snowing the occasional flake but nothing that was accumulating. The hike into camp was quiet and peaceful, though quite soggy to be expected. There were some really muddy spots and the lakes were as full as I have ever seen them. I eventually made it to the lake I wasa shooting for and quickly found camp and set up shop for the night.

After getting camp set I threw on the layers and gathered up the camera and fishing gear and headed lake side to shoot some time lapse and do some fishing. I fished for a while, there was no surface activity, but I did get one strike underneath on a leech, but alas there was no fish to be had this day. I was able to nab a great time lapse while lake side so all was not lost.

Evening set in and I got my fire going. It was Indian food for dinner. Madras Lentils and some Buffalo Chicken to mix in with it! So good! As the light faded so did the temps and I was happy to have my layers on as the temps were cold! So much for summer! The night sky was unreal and I was able to get the lake and all of its stars in one shot. Then the Milky Way showed up and put on a show! I returned to camp and could see the North Star just out the back of my camp so I decided to set up the camera and make some tea while it was shooting the images. Eventually the camera was done and it was time to get in the bag and get some good warm sleep!

Morning came and it warmed up pretty quickly. Everything had frost on it which is not surprising since it dropped to 28 overnight. My chair was frozen but found a rock in the sun to have my coffee on. I packed up camp as my tent was drying out. After I was packed, I walked down to the lake for one last shot at fishing. Unfortunately, nothing landed so I went back to camp. I threw on the pack and made my way back to the Jeep to close out another great adventure in the Uintas. Enjoy the images and make sure you check out my YouTube video from this adventure! Please Like & Subscribe! More Adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment