Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Return To The Uintas- Uinta Mountains- June 2022


Finally, winter relinquished its grip on the Uintas! I made my way out there to scout the trailheads and see where we were at snowpack wise. I stopped at the Kamas Ranger Office and got my Mirror Lake Pass and then moved up the Highway. My first stop was Crystal Lake Trailhead. It is closed till July. Next stop, Bald Mountain Pass, but there was a 4 foot snow drift blocking the parking lot, so I moved on. I then stopped at the Highline Trailhead, but it too had too much snow. I decided to try one other trail and sure enough it was ready!

I put on the pack and headed on in. The water was rushing in the creek as I made my way up the trail. There were some small piles of snow, and some moddy sections, but nothing unmanageable. The flowers were starting to bloom and it was really green this year! After a couple of miles I landed lakeside with a beautiful view!

I found the camp I wanted and got things set up. It was so quiet I sat in my chair for a bit just soaking in the silence. I then put together my fly rod and headed down to toss a line. right away I had action and I fished for a few hours before heading back to camp. Evening set in, I had a nice fire and enjoyed the night sky. Eventually I turned in for some sleep that I was well ready for.

I awoke to clear skies and cool temps. I made coffee and had breakfast, then put it together for the day to go explore another fishing hole in the area. THe views were spectacular from this area and the fishing was just as hot! A few fish a bit bigger than my home for the night! There was a lot of water crossing to get here but the reward was so worth it. To have a lake all to yourself in the Uintas only a few miles from the road is generally unheard of in June. I fished for hours and had to change a few flies that the trees kept taking from my greedy casting. Buddy Jim and his friends showed up in the evening and we had a nice fire and sat around enjoying the Uintas once more. I shot some photography then turned in.

Sunday morning came and I took my time packing up because it was only a few miles to the road. Jim and his friends said goodbye and I did some finishing touches on camp and the fire pit. I had a nice hike out with the sound of the creek leading the walk. Eventually I was back at the car and another perfect weekend was had. Enjoy the pics and moving pictures! Check out my YouTube video from this trip below. More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment