Monday, November 15, 2021

Mt Wire/Big Beacon, Wasatch Foothills- November 2021

Warmvember continues! Different than last year, I have been making myself go hiking at least once a week to stay active after all the hard work personally over the last year. With clear skies and warmer than average temps I made my way to the trailhead for a Sunday Funday adventure! As I climbed, the views kept getting better! I have done this trail several times for the Living Room which I have previously about, but this trail is the turnoff you pass when you are rounding the corner west on the trail. This trail from the start is a uphill battle. It occasionally gives you a break on the way up but they are very short lived.
Arriving at the cuttoff, I made my way up to the ridge. This is a steep but beautiful section that was still holding some fall colors. The views as well continued to improve! Once I hit the saddle it was a short walk up Red Butte. This summit is the namesake for the world famous Red Butte Gardens. Then it was up the really steep summit to the South that rises about about 500 ft. Once you reach a lone tree that if you are tall you are going to have to duck under, the trail is really easy and manageable. I rounded the last corner and could see the top of the unnamed summit just before Mt. Wire and I of course had to run up. Great views but not a ton of real estate. Beautiful views of a rarely seen area of the Wasatch.
I made my way down and across the saddle and up to the summit of Mt Wire! Mt. Wire aka Big Beacon summit elevation is 7.146 ft USGS. Mt. Wire is named after Lester Wire, a Salt Lake City Police Officer who invented the Electric Red/Green Traffic Light in 1912. It now carries the name Big Beacon for the aircraft beacon that lies dormant and abandonded on the summit. It is surrounded by a fence. There is also a solar weather unit up there so please leave them be. I took in the view and had some water and a snack after 2,100 feet of gain from the Jeep to the Summit!
After taking some time to relax and recharge, I decided to make my way down since it gets dark early these days. After making my way to the unnamed summit you round, I found a fossilzed sea shell in a rock. Shortly later I found some really nice sea shells. All of this used to be underwater until 65 million years ago when the great uplift happened which is what we call the Wasatch today! The hike out was beautiful and amazing lighting. I made it down to the main trail and decided to walk up to the Living Room just to get some views and why not right? Three summits in one day, might as well hit that on the way out too! After making my way down the wash the trail descends, and crossing the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, I found myself back at the Jeep! 5 miles round trip, 2,139 feet of elevation gain, and one hell of a way to spend a Sunday in November! This was a great hike that if you like steep long walks that lead to amazing summits you'll love this one! Enjoy the pics and check out my YouTube video for a live action version of events! Please like and subscribe! More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment