Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Microwave- Little Cottonwood Canyon- December 2019


It's been an active December here in the Wasatch. We have had about 50 inches of snow, more in some places. I decided to get out once more on the splitboard to keep the legs fresh and to sneak in a few turns for Sunday Funday! The walk in was nice, took a slightly different approach from the road through the trees which was a cold, but really easy skinning. Once up into the meadow I notices they had the road closed to access Catherine Pass, so I had a decision to make. Microwave was a looking really nice so I decided to do a little snow science/break trail action up this aspect to test how the new snow is reacting. Very solid with no fracturing or collapsing. I stomped a few test slopes on the way up and nothing. When I reached the top of my line I noticed some of the steep terrain above me had released the storm snow. These were large stuffs at best, not a threat, but something to be aware of always.






After switching things over I spent a minute just watching the clouds roll up the canyon with sun directly overhead. It was a pretty awesome sight! I eventually strapped in and made the drop. I did a very long traverse bouncing the snowpack to see if there was any instability. Seeing as there was a nothing happening I dropped in and reaped the reward for the hard work climbing that face. The powder in the apron in the video was 5 stars! Nice second day out for the season! Looks like more snow is in the forecast so more fun to be had! Enjoy the pics and video! More to come!


Microwave 121519 Exit from CPPhoto on Vimeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment