Monday, March 11, 2019

Peak 10420, Big Cottonwood Canyon- March 2019


What an amazing season we are having this year! It just keeps snowing in the Wasatch! Most of the Cottonwood Canyons now have over 500" of snow for the season. Base depths are 130" to 160" depending on the area. After getting a powder day on the lifts at Solitude on Thursday of last week, I returned to the backcountry to keep the legs fresh and to enjoy the winter vibe that we are holding in the high terrain. I decided to hit the trees on the west face of Peak 10420 up Big Cottonwood Canyon. I made my way to the winter gate, put on the boots and pack and made my way up the skin track. From the road I broke trail all the way up. It was deep trail breaking, in some places it was knee deep from the last storm we received. I found a new route into this area and set a skin track in there. The walk in was chilly, but the sun was occasionally making an appearance out of the clouds which made the cold trek in the trees a bit more pleasant. I eventually topped out where I felt there was no avalanche danger. Included is a picture of my kit that I take with me every time when I am splitboarding.





Peak 10420 Trip Report from CPPhoto on Vimeo.


Once I topped out, I made the switchover to ride mode. I hung out in the trees for a while as they released their piles of snow our of the canopy which was like watching a mini blizzard. Eventually I made the drop to head home. In some sections the snow was so deep you just had to point it if you did not want to get stuck. I found some great snow on the way out and riding was really a lot of fun. Overall a great walk in on the skin track and a really fun ride home. Looks like we have another round of snow set for midweek so it looks like this party is going to continue. Spring temps are forecasted for the weekend. We are only a couple of months away from the trails melting out and the hiking to begin. Until then I am gonna get as many of these days as I possibly can. Enjoy the pics and videos! More adventures to come!


Peak 10420 Trees 3.10.2019 from CPPhoto on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment