Monday, March 4, 2019

Grizzly Gulch, Little Cottonwood Canyon- March 2019


March had arrived! With it we have gotten a fresh paint job in the Wasatch! I decided to tour up Grizzly Gulch this week to kick off the month. I made my way to the end of the road in Little Cottonwood. Got a spot then put on the boots, backpack, and strapped into the boards. The walk in was much warmer than I expected so I am pretty sure I over dressed. I was a little slow to start getting warmed up but eventually was pushing up the skin track at my normal pace. The new snow had bonded to the old snow pretty well so the skin in was pretty nice! There were a lot of people that were up here getting after it. Talked to quite a few backcountry recreation folks from skiers, snowshoers, and splitboarders. Everyone seemed to be happy that we had some new snow. I made my way into the gulch, then followed the skin track up Black Bess. I topped out where the fog met the peaks as visibility was not the best and I wanted to be able to see my line as I was riding incase I had to jet to a safe zone if I had a collapse. I found a nice spot out of the wind and made the switchover.





Grizzly Gulch Trip Report 3.3.2019 from CPPhoto on Vimeo.


After digging a quick pit, and not finding anything that raised the alarms, I hung out for a bit as the sun would peek out through the clouds, then the clouds would set in and it would start snowing once more. After a bit of a break it was time to strap in and make the drop. The snow was deep, much more than was reported. The turns were really fun and the ride out to the Jeep was one of the best of the season. I could not believe how good the snow was! Exceeded any expectation I had when I left the house in the AM. Even slashed it up a bit at the bottom in snow that was a bit more dense in consistency but still a lot of fun to ride in. A great day out on the skin track and a really fun ride home! Looks like we have more on the way! March is shaping up to be a good one! Enjoy the pics and videos! More adventures to come!



Grizzly Gulch 3.3.2019 from CPPhoto on Vimeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment