Thursday, July 2, 2015

Catherine Pass to Sunset Peak, Wasatch-Cache National Forest- 7.1.2015

The first day of the month happens to be Wasatch Wednesday! I decided to hike Catherine Pass just to get out of the heat in the valley. June officially went down as the hottest June on record, and July was not gonna start off any different. The Albion Basin road opened July 1st, so I figured seeing this side of the Wasatch would be a nice change. It was warm from the trail head on the way in. The flowers were out everywhere, so I had to make a couple of pit stops to snap some photos of my friends the wildflowers because it has been since last year since I have seen them. Moved up each steep section pretty quick, and talked to a couple of hikers on the way up. Without much time, I was soon standing on Catherine Pass.

The forecast called for 30% chance of showers, but the closest I could see were way out over the Uintas. I was looking up at Sunset Peak and decided I wanted to head up there. The hike up to Sunset Pass was hot, and sandy as usual. It is strange to be hiking on dry sand in this section, but soft on the feet. After getting to the pass, I moved on to finish my hike up to the peak. This whole diet and yoga routine really has given me so much more endurance and I was standing at 10,680 ft USGS before I knew it. There were a couple of people that made the summit shortly after I did. It was nice to chat with them as we took in the panorama of the Wasatch.

Eventually it was time to head down and return to the oven we call the valley. The hike out was very nice and even had cooled just a bit heading back to the car. I saw a Marmot and a Buck on the way out. It is always great to see the wildlife doing so well. The flowers seemed even more colorful in the evening light. I had the trail all to myself on the way out, which is a rarity indeed. A wonderful day hiking the Wasatch, and Wednesday has seemed to be money for getting out in the Tri-Canyons. Enjoy the photos. More adventures to come..........

No comments:

Post a Comment