Saturday, June 14, 2014

Mill B South Fork, Big Cottonwood Canyon- June 2014

This is on my top three hikes of all time here in the Wasatch. It is a gut buster on the way up, and the pay off is worth every step you take to get there. As is usual on this hike, I had a delayed start on this trail due to parking at the trail head. Once I was on my way up, I made a quick pace. Passing meadows and climbing up this drainage, you get a sense of how dramatic it was here when the glaciers were here in full force. I made good time up to the last switchbacks, which I then took a quick water break before finishing it off to the lake. It was bluebird skies and the waterfalls cascading off Sundial Peak were amazing! I made a quick jaunt over to my spot, and put the fly rod together. I had a slow start, but once I dialed in the pattern, it was on from there. Even pulled a 13" brookie out of Lake Blanch. That is the biggest I have ever landed there. I continued my assault on the inlet, and then decided I wanted to walk over to Lillian and Florence, the other two adjacent lakes in this drainage. Lillian had all the action, Florence was just too windy to cast in. After a long stay up in this beautiful place, it was time to head on down. The hike down was awesome as the trees dropped into the shadow of the west ridge. I made a great pace to the bottom, drinking the last of my water right as I walked up to the car. What a way to get things going by getting Lake Blanch bluebird and great temps! Enjoy the slideshow, more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment