Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Great Western Trail- Deer Creek Section, Dixie National Forest, Utah

Finally, after months of dreaming about getting out in the wilderness again, the day had come. We made an early departure from Salt Lake City, heading south for Boulder Mountain. It was a nice drive, very light traffic, and scenic all the way there. After more than three hours driving, we arrived at the trail head. We enjoyed the view as we packed it up and got the boots on. The hike in was awesome, but a bit windy as micro burst clouds were moving very fast over us. We made a quick pace to the Great Western Trail junction. We took in the view, then moved on. The hike in was snow free, and was in full greenery as all the trees and meadows were just about to pop with color. After a bit of walking in the woods, and hearing the frogs singing, we arrived at the Deer Creek Lake junction. A short hike up the meadow and we were at our spot. We got shop built and then headed up to Green Lake to try our luck with the fishing.

On my fifth cast I had one on. A pretty fat Cutthroat as well. The fishing was hot, and all of us were getting hit. We fished until it started getting dark, then we made our way back to camp. I shot some photos as we made dinner. Then it was off to sleep. The next morning was crystal clear, and the temps were mild. After coffee and breakfast, we packed it up to hunt out Moosman Reservoir. We did some bush whacking from camp, and after moving through some meadows and following some faint animal tracks, we arrived at the lake. It was a very exposed lake, and was in full sun. I shot some photos, then threw a line in. After about five minutes, I got a nice little brookie on. It was like this for all of us. After a while up at Moosman, we moved down to Chriss Lake. The Cutthroats here were about the same size as Moosman, but a lot more aggressive. As the day wore on, we hiked back up to our camp, then headed up for some more sunset fishing at Green Lake. We saw huge ones in there, but 13-15" was the call for what we were landing. We once again closed out the lake and headed back to camp at dusk. I got a longer exposure this night, and we had a nice fire and dinner.

I slept for so long into Sunday, then got up. We decided after breakfast to go after Green Lake one more time, but alas, I think I used up all my fishing luck. We packed it up and headed out. The hike out was much hotter than on the way in. But beautiful to say the least. It was so nice to be back out there. We were in an area that there was no one else in for three days! It has been a long time since I have been in a wilderness area and have no one but myself there. Those are rare gifts that you have to enjoy to the fullest, and we did not waste a minute of it. Enjoy the slide show, more adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment