Monday, July 22, 2013

Cuberant Basin, Uinta Mountains- July 2013

After four years, I finally got to get out on the trail with my best friend Jared. We decided that Cuberant would be a good choice for Jared since it has been a while since he has been out on the trail. We headed in from Pass Lake Trail Head which leads to Reids Meadow. The temps were extra warm, so we were feeling the heat. We made a quick push for the junction, and then headed for the pass. It was not long after the pass that we found ourselves at Cuberant #3. We set up shop and got our fishing on. I landed a Cutty in Cuberant #3. This was odd, because this lake holds Brook Trout. I have never seen a Cutthroat in this lake. After hours of fishing, dusk started to set in and we settled in for some dinner and a nice fire. There was a full moon this weekend, so star trails were just not going to be an option. But I did still manage to get some fun night shots. The temps were unusually warm for the Uintas.

I had to shed layers in my sleeping bag because I was broiling with how warm it was over night. We awoke to the sounds of a Wood Pecker tapping out a tree. We made coffee, then made plans to tour the basin that day. We got it together and headed up to Cuberant #2. I landed a couple of small, but very fun Cutty's. After a bit, it was up to Cuberant #1. We fished there for a while, but it is a hard lake to use a fly rod at, as there is not a lot of back casting room at this lake. When we got tired of being at #1, we headed up to Cuberant #4. It was fairly windy up there, and it made casting rather difficult for me, but Jared was in good with his spinner rod. We decided to make the loop through Moose Tracks pond and Spooky pond to get back to our lake. This was an awesome adventure, lots of bushwhacking, and we ended up on top of the cliffs that were above Cuberant #3. The view was fantastic up there. We settled in to Cuberant #3 for the rest of the evening, and I landed us a nice Brookie for dinner.

Twilight set in for our final night, and this night was a bit colder than the previous. We had a nice fire and just enjoyed the wilderness at night. After some much needed rest, we woke up to some coffee and breakfast, and then we broke camp. We then headed out, making a swift push for the pass. Once over the pass, we made haste for the cold ones we had waiting for us at the car. It was a nice hike out, great day to be in the Uintas. This was a great weekend, being out with my best friend, and just enjoying the wilderness. Enjoy the slide show, we have now passed the half way mark of summer. More adventures to come!
djnebula's Cuberant Basin July 2013 album on Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment