Monday, July 15, 2013

Catherine Pass, Little Cottonwood Canyon- July 2013

After getting skunked out last Saturday by a huge thunderstorm, I headed back to Catherine Pass. This is one of my all time favorite hikes, so I make it a point to visit this one a few times a year. As it would be we have the monsoon flow going, so after noon thunderstorms are a reality. I hit this up early and pushed pretty hard to the pass. I did stop for a few photos, but it was a steady drizzle till I got to the meadow. Then it just kind of let up and broke up. Still cloudy, but not raining anymore. With bits and pieces of blue popping here and there. I made my way up to the pass and realized, I am alone up here. This rarely happens, this is a pretty popular and busy trail. I watched as the clouds grew darker and started to build, so after some camera fun and a bit to take in the view, I decided to make my way down and take some flower photos along the way. What an awesome hike both up and down. I even got to see the elusive "White Paintbrush." I have seen them before, but they are very rare, as Indian Paintbrush typically is orange, red, purple or in rare cases bright green. I took a quick stop at a rock field, and saw a Marmot. I love seeing those, it gives you a sense of how the ecosystem is doing. Good signs! I made it to the car, and the storms just started breaking up. Great way to spend a Friday! Enjoy the slideshow from this hike, and more to come!
djnebula's Catherine Pass July 2013 album on Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment