Saturday, September 2, 2023

Off Trail Backpacking, Uinta Mountains, Utah- August 2023


Its been a couple of weeks since I have been back from the Ruby Crest Trail. I have been home catching up on everything. I needed to get out, and I have a list of places that have not been in the Uintas. Its growing smaller every year. But this one, being an off trail location, we'll just say I am going to keep this one under my hat. I was fortunate to get out with a new friend, Steve, who is Packsalot on Youtube. We made it to the trailhead early and got the gear on and headed in. I did not take too many photos in this section because we were trying to make time to get in here before the afternoon storms build up. I shot some video for this area so catch that in my YouTube video below. After about a mile, it was time to head off trail. The Uintas had record rain the day berfoe, so everything was soaked. Off trail hiking over deadfalls and route finding on a slope is not only difficult, its a tad dangerous too. So we had to be very careful. After a while we ended up on the shores of a very beautiful lake!

We quickly found a camp and got out tents up and things ready incase we had weather come in. The light in this place is amazing! We both went out fishing for the day and had some great success. We had one round of rain come in but I just threw on my rain jacket on and kept fishing. I landed some dark spawning Brookies while the rain was coming down. It only lasted for about 20 minutes then the sun was out again. Steve kept fishing and i took a break for lunch and to just enjoy camp for a minute. You could see the thunderstorms building over the range and we seemed to be on the dividing line of them. Eventually the rain came in and we made it up to camp for shelter because the thunder started clapping overhead. We moved to the tents to stay dry and to charge up the devices while we waited out the storm. About 30 minutes later and the sun was back out and we were fishing again.

Evening set in and the skies cleared. The temps from the dewpoint for sure dropped the temps. I got in my night layers and we got a fire going. It was a great night, dinner, good company. Steve is a great guy and a lot of fun to go backpacking with. I put my camera out for a star trail, and sat by the fire. Steve turned in, I waited till my shot was done then hit the sleeping bag as well.

Morning came and we got up and got coffee and breakfast. Steve partially packed and went out fishing while I was packing up. We got camp cleaned and then it started raining lightly. It was short lived and the sun was back out. We made our way off trail back up to the main trail to see the other two lakes in the area Steve had not previously been to. We arrived at the first one and tossed a line for over an hour. I was fishing the Tenkara rod, I got nine legit hits, but nothing landed. We moved down to the next lake and my luck much improved! It was a beautiful day and we were making the most of it. The hike out was very nice, sunny, with partly cloudy skies! Flowers were sstill blooiming on the trail it is was very green! This was a great weekend to a new spot with a new friend! Enjoy the pics! If you want a live action version of this trip watch my YouTube video below! More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment