Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Shadow Lake, Uinta Mountains- September 2020

Backpacking season is on the tail end. Nights are getting longer and temps are getting cooler. We had a clear but expected cold weekend on tap so I packed some extra warm stuff and put it together for another weekend in the Uintas. The drive in was nice and not too many people out. I made my way into the trailhead which was about half full for a Friday. It was afternoon, and I put on the boots and made my way in. The wind was howling as I made my way past Washington Lake. Once I hit the trees at the Haystack Lake junction it was much calmer. The fall colors were popping in the meadows and even the light and shadows in the trees were looking much longer. I made my way past Tail Lake and then up to Shadow Lake which would be my home for the night.
I set up my camp then put my fly rod together to go fishing. The wind was relentless, and it made casting really hard. Despite this I got hit several times, just nothing there when I set the hook. It was almost white cap at times on the lake and that was not helping things. Being the not gonna quit kind of guy I am, I fished until dusk. The sunset in there was really nice and had a fall look to it. Lots of purple and blues making the colors at the lake delightful to view!
Darkness fell and with it the temps. I brought some midweight thermals for this trip and a much heavier weight beanie than I pack during the summer months. Surprisingly it was not bad. I set my camera out for a time lapse and turned on the Luci Lamps and settled in with some soft music on my phone. The night sky was amazing with some high clouds rolling over the range all night. Eventually the temps got me and I turned in for some much needed sleep.
I awoke to cloudy skies and really strong cold winds. I got up and made coffee and breakfast. I then set out a time lapse and went fishing. The wind was even stronger this day and the wind was really cold. My hands were going numb. I tried and tried to land something, I even got one on and was stripping it in when it wiggled off. So officially I got skunked for the first time this season fishing. Oh well, it happens. Upon returning to camp the temps were just really cold and I decided to pack it up and head out. The hike out was cold, really cold, and I made a quick pace to get back to the Jeep. This may have been one of my last trips in the Uintas for the year. It has been a good one for sure! Hints that winter is on its way are everywhere. The Mirror Lake Highway is full of Fall colors now. Enjoy the pics and videos! More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment