Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Ruby Mountains Wilderness, Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest- August 2020


I had the fortunate chance by invite to join my friend Dustin, who is The Backpack Blazer on Youtube, and a good friend, to visit the Ruby Mountains in Nevada. Our plan was I was going to do the drive in on Friday, car camp, and we would meet at the trailhead Saturday morning. This being my first time there, I wanted to get familiar with the area. I made the 3 and 1/2 hour drive to Elko. There was really no traffic and I wanted to get a spot in the canyon so I could rest after the long drive. After toppping off the tank and getting some drive thru, I made my way up to Lamoille Canyon. I drove all the way into the trailhead to get familiar with it for the morning. I then went back down below Thomas Creek and found a spot. There are a few dispersed spots in the canyon, not many, and most of them do not have shade. I thought leaving early enough to get out there might give me a shot at a camp with shade, but alas I think I got the very last spot in there for the night.


After getting camp situated, I just sat under the tail gate of my Jeep because it was literally 90 degrees outside. The view I had up the canyon was pretty sweet so I just relazed after such a long drive. Heavily glaciated steep canyon walls. As the sun began to move into the west the temps got better and I got out the camera and had dinner. Just at dusk the moon started to rise over one of the peaks and I shot a short time lapse of that. It finally got dark and I put out my camera for a star trail. I just sat there listening to so soft music on my phone as the moon lit up the whole canyon. Some great time to reflect and take a deep breath. The canyons geology at night is really cool with the moon light painting everything. I was not expecting to shoot a star trail on the first night, but what a bonus to get this one! After getting the pack ready for the morning, I got into bed and got some needed sleep for what the next day had in store.





I woke up early on Saturday Morning and packed up camp and headed up to the trailhead. It was really packed and I found Dustin walking through the parking lot. I found a spot, got things ready and we headed on in. I have to mention, the temps were in the upper 80's when we started in. The trail heads right up hill and you steadily gain elevation as you climb. At the one mile mark you cross a creek and then ascend some well graded swithbacks with one little steep section. The trail then wraps its way around the canyon and puts you on a shelf which puts you at Dollar Lakes. They say there are no fish in there but we saw some rises as we passed. The trail flattens out for a bit as you make your way up to Lamoille Lake. This is a pretty lake, a blue green color and looked like there was minimal camping near it because it was mostly surrounded by rock. We then started the climb of the switchbacks which take you up to Liberty Pass. These were well graded and it never seemed like you were getting worn out as we climbed. The views just kept getting better and better as we made our way up to the top. You move above treeline and into some rugged terrain, but the trail is very easy to follow. A few more switchbacks in the cirque, and you are on Liberty Pass! You walk about 50 yards and are treated to your first views of Liberty Lake and Castle Peak.











We made the climb off the pass to find a lot of people camped near the lake. We wanted shade so we posted up our camp in an area below the lake. We set up camp and then made our way up to Liberty Lake for some water and some fishing. Legend tells of 10 lb Mackinaw Trout in there. Well, for me, it was a bunch of strikes with nothing on when I would set the hook. The water is so crystal clear you could see right to the shelf where the water goes deep. Liberty Lake is over 100 feet deep. We both did not land anything so we decided to head back to camp and take it easy for a bit. After lounging and sorting camp to get ready for the evening, we made our way back up to the lake for another shot at fishing. They were rising so I put my line out. I got a few hits and finally landed a whopping 6" Brookie! Still a fighter, but with the size of the one Dustin caught as well, I think they recently planted these fish. At least I did not get skunked at Liberty Lake! We moved back down to camp settled in for the evening. I put out the camera for a star trail and sat up and enjoyed the the moon that was high in the sky! Eventually I turned in for some much needed sleep.



Sunday we awoke to clear skies and pleasant temps. We both made coffee and breakfast. I had a piece of my big toenail catch on my sock and it broke off on the side corner of my toe. So I had to clean it up and care for it because it was making walking not fun. Just a little work and much better! We then packed it up to head down to Farve Lake. The hike in there is really cool and connected really close from camp. The views all the way down there were just incredible! We got lake side and on my first cast I got a strike! I got a nice Brookie on about my fourth cast. We spent a signifigant amount of time here getting after the fish. Dustin was just knocking them off and I think he got the most fish on this trip. Just fun to be in such a beautiful place tossing a line. The other amazing thing about this lake is its surrounded by wild onions! I have seen them in the Uintas, but not this big of a grove of them. It smelled like onions as you walked the shoreline fishing. We took a brief break in a shady area then Dustin fished some more.

Afternoon set in and we made the climb back up to camp. Dustin brought a UL Hammok and wanted a snoozer in it and I went out and shot a time lapse looking from the back of our camp. After a relaxing afternoon, we headed up to Liberty Lake one more time to relax and toss a line. I did not catch anything. But it was much cooler than the previous day so very nice to watch the clouds that had boiled up during the day to be floating over the pass. I watched this for a while and was just really happy to be there. Eventually we decided to head back for dinner and to get ready for the evening. Dustin headed for the ridge while I cleaned up my toe. I did try to go find him after I was done but I did not see which way he went. I did however get a great pano of Farve and Castle Lakes and Castle Peak. I went back to camp and Dustin showed up about 10 minutes later. Both of us decided a early bed time, and a early wake up was the plan as we wanted to get to the pass before it got hot. Dustin turned in early and I sat under the moon for about an hour then turned in.











Monday morning came early and we were awake by 6 AM and packing it up. We were on trail by 7 AM. We knocked out the steep part of the pass in 30 minutes. The rest of the hike was easy street because it was all downhill. The light was awesome as we made our way down from the pass. The flowers were even more spectacular on the way out. Not too many people on the trail so that was an added bonus. We arrived 5 miles later and Dustin hopped in his truck and I got things situated at the Jeep for the long ride home. Just an amazing weekend in a new place I have wanted to visit for a very long time. Good company, great hiking, awesome camp, really fun fly fishing, and a new found affection for a place that lived up to everything I was expecting! Thank you to Dustin for the invite! Enjoy the pics and time lapse! More adventures to come!







No comments:

Post a Comment