Sunday, June 28, 2020

Teal Lake, Uinta Mountains- June 2020


After last weeks adventure into Packard Lake, I was just looking for a quick trip into the Uintas to get some photography, a good off trail hike, and some fishing. I made my way into the Uintas on Friday which was really not that busy and got to the trailhead. I put on the boots and the pack and headed on it. The trail was pretty empty. The clouds were awesome and the temps were a lot warmer than last week. I made my way up to Ruth Lake, then up over the ridge above Ruth Lake. I took a minute to soak in the view up here then moved on. Crossing the meadows I ended up at Hayden Lake. Really pretty this year in the shadow of Lofty Peak. I then moved down to Liberty Lake, then continued down to Jewel Lake. Down climbing those boulders is tricky business, but I made quick work of it. Over the minor ridge above Jewel, and it was an off trail adventure! I used my navigation to keep me on a topo line most of the way in there. Only having to descend about 100 yrds from Teal Lake. It was a really fun hike in there and so green this year!






Once I arrived at Teal Lake, I made my stake on the camp I wanted, and proceeded to set up shop. Once camp was built, I decided to relax for a bit and have some lunch. After recharging the batteries I put it together to go fishing. I really didn't know how it was going to go, and the clouds were building in, so I was not sure if it was going to thunderstorm or not. I reached my spot by the lake and set out the camera for a time lapse while I did some fishing. I landed some 12" Tigers and Cutthroats which were fun. I put on my favorite Caddis pattern and boom! I had a monster on the line! My rod doubled over and it was a fight to the finish for this Tiger Trout! This was a healthy 16 inch fish that I could not even put my hand all the way around. By far the best strike, set, strip, and land I have had yet this year! After returning him to the waters I stopped my time lapse and continued fishing. Not 15 minutes later I had another big one on the line! This one was a 15 inch Tiger and it hit my fly on the drop! He fought me a good one but I eventually got him in. I had to take a photo with this one because the colors were amazing on this fish! Eventually the fishing slowed down and I returned to camp for some dinner and to get ready for the evening.




Evening set in and the skys began to clear out. I got a good fire going and set my camera out for a star trail. I settled in by the fire with some soft volume tunes on my phone. As the fire raged the moon started to set and the Milky Way began to set making the Milky Way come into view. After about two hours my star trail was finished and I grabbed my camera and headed out to the north side of the lake. There was a cloud bank in covering part of the Milky Way, but it gave this cool effect so I grabbed a few shots. I returned to camp to enjoy the fire before bed. Just a classic night in the Uintas which is so much fun! Eventually I turned in for some well deserved sleep.






Morning came and I slept in a little longer than I normally do. I got up, made some tea, then headed out to the shore to fish. I got one Cutthroat that was about 13", but missed six other hits that were my fault for not paying attention. What can I say? When you are in a beautiful place why not take it all in? I fished for about two hours, then headed back to camp because the mosquitoes were swarming at that point. I packed it up pretty quickly because the skeeters were fllying up my nose and trying to go in my mouth. I was packed and moving through the woods off trail by afternoon. Once away from Teal, the wind was blowing so the skeeters were a lot less annoying than before. I reversed my steps past all the lakes and arrived at the Jeep in the evening. This was a great overnighter into one of my favorite areas! Fishing was red hot, photography was so much fun, and I got the best night sleep I have had out there this season! A great trip which just left me hungry for more! Enjoy the pics and time lapse images! More adventures to come!

2 comments:

  1. You always have such cool adventures. Great photography too! I’m trying to learn astrophotography myself. Are your star trails a single long exposure or several stacked shorter ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I shoot a series of images then stack them into the final image. This reduces noise and makes them high definition.

      Delete