Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Boulder Mountain, Dixie National Forest, Utah- 5.30-6.01.2020


Solo backpacking trip on Boulder Mountain in the Dixie National Forest here in Utah over the weekend. This is the first time I have solo'ed this range. I made an early departure and made the drive into Torrey in three hours on the minute. I gassed up and then headed up Hwy 12 to the trailhead. Its really green this year! I got my spot at the trailhead and then put on the pack and headed in. The hike in was just beautiful! No people at all! Once you got about a mile into the trail the wind was howling. But the views were beautiful. I did good time into the GWT Junction. Still no people. Just loving it! I moved through the final section expecting there to be people camped at the lake. 2 miles later, and a big smile on my face I arrived at Deer Creek Lake.





Saturday I pretty much set up camp and lounged around. Filtered water, collected firewood, and got things squared for the weekend. I did get about a 10 minute rain shower Satruday evening. Nothing big, just enough to jump in the tent and throw on the evening layers. I had dinner and then settled in for the evening in camp. I had a great night Saturday even though the clouds mucked up what would have been an amazing Star Trail. I still think this one looks cool but not what I was going for. I settled in for some good quiet sleep.







Sunday morning was clear and cool. I decided after breakfast I would do some off trail hiking up to Mooseman Lake for some fishing. After trying a few flies and getting nothing, I put on a parachute adams and it was game on! After a couple of hours of great fishing I could see the thunderstorms were on their way in so I made my way back to camp. I literally had enough time to batten down camp and in it came! Thunder, really strong winds and it rained really hard! This lasted about an hour and a half before letting up. After the storm I had a snack then headed up to Greens Lake. The fishing was really good here too but these guys like to wiggle off the line. I hooked into some nice fish, but everytime I would get them stripped in they would wiggle off. If you are a catch and release guy like me you don't care. Still fun to be fishing! Sunday night was a great one, but unfortunately a bust for the astrophotography because the clouds never stopped coming.









Monday was just beautiful when I woke up. I got up early and made my tea and then packed it up. I wanted to make some time early so I could get home at a reasonable hour since I had a three hour drive ahead of me. I had a very nice hike out. Light was beautiful and the temperatures were pleasant. After three miles I was at the Jeep. Amazing weekend solo backpacking! Enjoy the pics and time lapse. Much needed medicine for my mind, body, and soul. More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment