Monday, June 25, 2018

Cuberant Basin, Uinta Mountains- 6.23-24.2018


Another great weekend was on tap and I was not about to miss out on it no matter who did or did not want to go. I packed it up and headed to Pass Lake Trailhead to head into Cuberant Basin. The hike in was nice, a few skeeters here and there, but not bad. I made a quick pace up to the Kamas/Cuberant cutoff then proceeded up the short climb. The meadows are full on like they would be mid to late July and its not even the end of June yet. Once on the pass, the view was grand and I took in the breeze and the beauty of this place. Over the pass I went into the basin. Then I dropped down to Cuberant 2 and it was very full for how dry our winter was. I then moved the final stretch down to camp. The best part about this hike was the lack of people. It was even better when I went into the basin and no one was camped in there as well. I don't remember ever having the first three trips in the Uintas as people free as these have been.






My arrival at camp was greeted with winds and mosquitoes. I had packed in some Nag Champa incense so I lit a few sticks and got camp set up. I then harvested some wood, all dead fall, not a single piece taken from any tree that was still standing. I then got my water and settled in for a very quiet afternoon. Evening came and the wind shifted from the south to the north as an expected cold front arrived. It quickly got me into the evening layers and as soon as dusk set in I lit my fire. Once the cold arrived the mosquitoes vanished as if blown out of there by the cold front. I made dinner then waited for the longest cloud in Uintas history to move out of the shot I wanted. I swear that could was all the way back into the Wasatch. Long like a cigar, and it just crept from 8:30 till nearly 10 PM when it finally was out of view. I had a wonderful evening by a great fire and a couple of beverages I hauled in. After my camera finished, I coaled out the fire and hit the sleeping bag. It was quiet and the wind had almost completely gone overnight. No frogs to fall asleep to like the last camp. But still a great nights sleep none the less.





The next morning was crystal clear and full of singing birds. I made coffee and sat out on the shore in the sun as it was a chilly start to the day. Once the sun was up I had breakfast and packed it up as I wanted to enjoy my hike out and not be in a rush. The hike out was perfect and I saw my first two folks just as I got over the pass and was on my way down. Talk about timing. As I hiked out the people were mobbing the Lofty Lake Loop so plenty of humans after the junction to the car. No matter, they were no where near me. Best part about the hike out was no mosquitoes. Did not even see one. With how cold the end of my nose got overnight, I think that cold front beat a lot of them down. I did not even DEET up on the way out as I had planned because it just was not needed. A great solo backpacking trip and another wonderful weekend in the Uintas. Enjoy the pics! More adventures to come!

2 comments:

  1. Aaah, Cuberant Basin, the place in the Uintas perhaps most fabled to house the infamous Sasquatch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, many strange stories out of that area. I keep bacon handy incase I run into the big hairy guy. Supposedly if you throw bacon at it they wont eat you. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete