Monday, August 7, 2017

Dean Lake, Uinta Mountains- 8.5/6.2017


I was fortunate enough to get out backpacking for a very short trip into Dean Lake in the Uintas. I got a very late start so I did not get to the trail head till about 4 PM. I was trying out my new UL backpacking boots sent to me from Keen. The APhlex boot is only 17.6 OZ per boot, and they are waterproof. These boots are made to fit like a running shoe, but give the full support of a hiking boot. They are amazing! I'll give a full report on them later. I made a quick hike in passing Clegg Lake and enjoying the variety of wildflowers which were in full bloom. After a bit of meadow walking from the main trail, I was standing lake side. Not a bad place to be on your birthday. I found my way into the camp I like and got things settled in for the evening. The moon came up over the lake and I had to get a shot of that because the lake was glass. This was going to be a completely clear night and I was excited about the photography opportunities!

I retreated to camp and got my camera ready for a star trail and got my fire going. I put out the camera for a time lapse and made some dinner. It got a bit chilly at 10,360 ft. I was glad to have my insulated jacket. The moon stayed in the southern sky making reflection shots a lot of fun to play with. After some camera fun it was time to turn in for some quiet sleep. I was awoken about 4 AM to the sound of a very large rockfall over by Notch Lake. It echoed through the whole basin. I imagine it must have been pretty large due to the sheer volume of the collapse. I rolled back over and slept in. I awoke to sunny skies with whispy clouds rolling in from the south and west. I took my time getting breakfast and some coffee. I then packed it up because I had birthday dinner plans with my family. The hike out was nice and a unusually empty trail for this area. I got to the lot in an hour and some change and posted up for a bit watching all the people there to climb Mt Baldy. It was a great way to spend a birthday with weather that you just cannot appreciate enough. Enjoy the pics! More adventures to come!






No comments:

Post a Comment