Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Full On Powder Days! 1.22-23.2012 Snowbird, Utah

We finally got the big dump we were waiting for! I awoke at 7:30 AM Sunday morning to the Sheriff's text that the canyon was not due to open because of avalanche control till 10:30. I went back to bed. Got up at 11 AM, had breakfast, and drove up about 12:30. Got the boots on and headed to Wilbere since that and Gadzoom was all that was going to open. Got some really great runs over there testing out my new Light Rail Bindings from Voile on my split. I can't wait for this new snow to settle out so I can tour with this new set up! Monday started out on some of the best cords of the season. Every turn on trail was a smooth as can be, and the off trail was not bad in Gad Valley despite it getting hammered out on Sunday. About 11:30 AM, I headed to the peak, and not too long after that they opened P-Dog and it was full on! From peak to base I had one of the best runs all season! So much off trail that is now accessible, which five days previous you did not even want to think about hitting any of these areas with how shallow our base was. The powder rush was on, and after a six hour day on the hill, it was time to call it for the day. Thanks to Snowbird Patrol for working so hard to get such a dangerous set of conditions out there. The wind was howling at the peak, and the snow was just dumping from above. Our mountain is FULL ON! Look for The Cirque to be in play soon, and I would not think that Mineral Basin will be far behind. More on the way this week! Pow Pow!

No comments:

Post a Comment