Wednesday, August 3, 2022

White Pine Lake, Lone Peak Wilderness- July 2022


I often forget I have one of the most beautiful wilderness areas right out my back door here in the Wasatch. The Lone Peak Wilderness was established in 1978. It sits in the heart of the Central Wasatch. I have not been to White Pine Lake since 2015, so I thought why not get a good conditioning hike in since it has been a couple of weeks since I have been out? I made my way up to a very busy trail head, and then put on the boots and pack and headed in. There was some thunder and some very light rain to start things off but that did not last long. I made a quick push up to the White Pine/Red Pine junction, then left the crowds behind as I had a very quiet trail to myself as I climed White Pine Canyon. The wild flowers this year are amazing and was a feast for the eyes as I did the work climbing this long trail.

As I continued the climb, the views and flowers became more diverse and spectacular to take in. I could feel that "Mountain Medicine" that such beauty gives us as we walk in nature. A couple of steep sections and I popped up out of the tree line and into the last cirque. The sun was beating down on me at this point and I was probably moving the slowest I had all day in this section because it was so warm. I finally topped out with a great overlook of White Baldy and White Pine Lake.

As I arrived at the lake the clouds roared some thunder and I quickly found a spot and got shelter set in case weather turned for the worst. It seemed to move just to the south of the drainage I was in and you could hear it rumbling as it moved along. Eventually the clouds broke and a nice evening was at hand. I tried some fishing, but alas nothing landed. I got my fire going and made dinner and then settled in for a star trail and some nice solo time by the fire. After the star trail was done I turned in to some much needed sleep.

Morning came and I could see some rises on the lake and I got up and went down to try my hand at fishing. I got one legit strike, but when I went to set it nothing was there. Oh well, that is just how it goes sometimes. I went back to camp and had breakfast and coffee and then packed it up and headed out. The hike out was gorgeous with so many colors from the wildflowers and a bit cooler than the day previous. After 5.5 miles I was standing at the Jeep almost exactly 24 hours later. A great overnight trip and it was nice to be back in the Lone Peak Wilderness! Enjoy the images and make sure you check out my YouTube video from this trip! Please Like and Subscribe! More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment