Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Granddaddy Basin, High Uintas Wilderness- August 2021

I took a week off to catch up on things at home. We got some storms, a lot of rain, and that played in my favor for this trip. I left early on Friday and made the drive to the trailhead. I was shocked to see it so empty. The lot was less than half full, and there was no one around. I put on the boots and pack and made my way in. I made my way up the switchbacks and then the long jaunt to the pass. I stopped at the pass for a snack and some water then headed into the basin. The descent was nice and cool and the views were very nice. You could really tell there had been a lot of rain recently, these were the wettest trails I have seen all summer.
I made good time into my spot and found camp. I set up camp and got my water, and bear hang situated. Then I put together my fly rod and went out to fish. I got one bite but nothing landed. I went back to camp for some lunch, and did some more work on the place. By that time Jim had shown up and he set up while I changed into the evening layers. We both decided to fish till dark and got after it. Monsters in there! I got into one on my second cast which was a hugh Brookie! I landed fish after fish and was having the time of my life! Finally it got to dark to see so we moved it back to camp for dinner and a good night by the fire. I shot the Milky Way, then I put out my camera for a star trail. We had a great but chilly night by the fire catching up on life and everything!
I awoke to clear skies and had coffee and breakfast. Jim was only in for an overnighter, so he wanted to have breakfast and then go fishing before he had to pack it up to head out. We got out there and he had luck right off the bat. I struggled for the first bit then I hooked into the biggest fish of the trip, a 15" 2+ lb Cutthroat Trout that fought me like mad! After a great session fishing, I walked out with Jim and we hit a few other spots before parting ways. I headed back up to camp, and decided after having lunch to head back out to fish. I hooked into the largest Brookie of the trip, he fought me so hard my arm was sore after getting him in to release him. I went back to camp to settle in for the evening.
Evening set in and I got dinner and my fire going. I had the Mountain House Yellow Curry and it was really good! Night came in and I decided to shoot a Milky Way time lapse this time and just enjoy my last night in this beautiful place. The stars were amazing and it was so nice to be by a camp fire once more. Eventually I gathered up my camera and turned in for some much needed sleep.
Sunday morning came and I was up at 7 AM, and decided to pack as I made coffee and had breakfast. I was ready on trail at 8:30 AM. I wanted to make the pass before it got too hot. The hike out was perfect temps and quite empty which is not usual for this place. I was not complaining. At the pass I decided to just push the last 2.5 miles to the Jeep as I had a ice cold Gatorade waiting for me in the cooler. three days, two nights of great fishing, friendship, and the night sky delivered! A great trip I will soon not forget. We are now moving into September. There is a short time left for backpacking before the snow flies. Enjoy the post and images! Click on my YouTube video below for a live video of this trip! Like and subscribe! More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment