Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Silver Lake, Lone Peak Wilderness- July 2021

After the big trip into Four Lakes Basin the weekend before, I was looking to get out and do an overnighter locally in a different area. I remembered a trail in the Lone Peak Wilderness I had done nearly a decade ago. I decided since my Mirror Lake Recreation Pass works in American Fork Canyon, why not? I made my way up the canyon, then up the really rough road that takes you to the trailhead. I saw two wheel drive vehicles make it up here, but I wouldn't recommend it. Its pretty rough and not well graded. Once at the trailhead I put on the pack and headed in. It was extremely warm and I was sweating right off the bat from the humidity. It doesn't seem like you are gaining a lot of elevaiton then you get to the creek crossing. Fireweed is everywhere there this year!
This is not a terribly long hike, 2.5 miles as the crow flies but it 1,400 feet of elevation gain in that 2 1/2 miles! As you ascend the switchbacks the views of Timpanogos get better and the flora changes from gamble oak to pine and wildflowers. After a good push you will find yourself standing lake side! This is a beautiful alpine lake set in a cirque below the Cottonwood ridgeline. I quickly hit the spot I was looking for and bingo it was not occupied! I set up shop as the clouds billowed overhead.
After getting my camp set up I spent most of my day fishing and circumnavigating the lake. I hooked into some nice fish but most of them got off on the strip in, but I did manage to land one small brookie. It was a beautiful day on a alpine lake casting the fly rod. Really peaceful!
Dusk started to set in so I collected some water and then headed back to camp. Once back to camp I sat out on the back porch and soaked in the nice view! Darkeness fell and it was tiem to put out the camera for a star trail. I had scouted a really nice location in there when I got to camp and it was going to be a awesome spot to shoot from. I sat in camp as the camera ran its images and had a couple of cold ones under clear skies and a crescent moon. Eventually rounded up the camera and got in the sleeping bag for some of the best sleep I have had all year backpacking!
Morning came and I awoke and started packing it up. As I did I heated up some coffee and had breakfast. After some coffee and a change of clothes I was ready to hit the trail. It was a nice hike out with beautiful light and flowers everywhere! Enjoy the post here and hit my YouTube channel for the live action story about this trip! Subscribe and Like! More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment