Saturday, May 8, 2021

Shingle Creek, Uinta Mountains- May 2021

After a mild winter with some late season touring on the splitboard, temps finally warmed up and started chewing out our snow pack. I got some info from a friend that the lower elevations in the Uintas had melted out so I decided to get out for a overnight scouting trip to see where the range was at as far as snow levels and how the trails were doing. I made the drive into the range and made it to the trailhead. It was crystal clear skies and rather warm temperatures. I threw on the boots and the pack and made my way in.
The trail was mostly dry, a few piles of snow here and there, but overall nothing unmanageable. As I moved up the drainage the veiws got better and better. I really missed it out here, and was so happy to be back.
After about three miles of hiking and looking around I settled on a classic spot that I love to stay at. I got camp set and pitched my new UL shelter my Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. This is a tent that pitches with one trekking pole and 6 stakes. Once I got camp set I decided to fish the small beaver ponds behind camp with my new Tenkara Sierra Rod my buddy Devin gave me. I fished for about an hour but I did not land anything. These fish are really small and I did not have anything smaller than a mosquito in my fly box. But getting strikes and fishing was still a lot of fun.
Evening settled in and I got into my night layers and made dinner. It was quiet, with the exception of the river near by. Night came in and I witnessed for the first time the Space X satallite chain right over head which I did catch briefly in my time lapse while shooting a star trail. I had a nice fire using the lay flat or boy scout method to keep the coals in the pit to be safe. After a few hours I turned in for some much needed rest.
I woke up about 5 AM to a flat sleeping pad. I had some Tear Aid and cut a piece and that seemed to do the trick and I inflated it and climbed back in the sleeping bag for a few more hours of sleep. I got up, made coffee, had breakfast, and packed it up. I was on the trail just after 9 AM, and the hike out was just as nice as the hike in. Quiet, no people, and the range I love emerging from its winter nap. It has been since October since I have been out here and it was sure nice to back. Enjoy the pics, time lapse, and the Youtube video. More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment