Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Cuberant Basin- 10 years- 2009-2019, Uinta Mountains- September 2019


Ten years ago I visited this basin for the first time here in the Uintas. I knew it was special the very first time I hauled a pack over that pass. This basin has a rich and dark history. I've had strange experiences in there myself, but also some really fun adventures over the years. I suspect when you mix adventure and mystery in the same place the appeal is obvious. I have done at least one trip every year for the last decade into this basin. I have been witness to and experienced, as well others who were with me, some puzzling to outright frightening experiences from in there that maybe one day I will share. I have noticed in the last decade that those who have been visiting this place have not been keeping it clean for others to enjoy. I have spent the last decade cleaning this area up every time I visit. This time was not as bad as previous trips. In fact, I would say in the last three years for the most part backpackers and hikers have been doing a pretty good job. I think more people have become educated about low impact and leave no trace camping practices and that is helping things. I'll take improvement whenever I can get it. Thanks to those who have visited this area and have tread lightly when you have stopped in for a spell. This area is one of my playgrounds here in the Uintas. If you go, leave it better than you found it. Cuberant Basin is special, let's keep it that way! Ok, now onto the trip report.


September is here in the Uintas. You would not have known it on Sunday at the Jeep. It was scorching hot and I almost felt over dressed. It's a holiday weekend, but I figured a overnighter on the tail end of the holiday would give me a chance for some good camping, stars, and some fishing. After having to wait a minute for a spot to park at the Pass Lake Trailhead, I put on the pack and headed in. This trail starts downhill but regains all that elevation as you head for the pass. The meadows are looking like they are on the tail end of the season as they were a mix of green and yellow. A wet year has left a lot of scree in the trail which only got more problematic as I gained elevation. I made the Kamas/Cuberant junction in 26 minutes. I leap frogged several hikers and a group of backpackers on the way in. Going Ultralight has its advantages. The hike as you climb was greener than I have ever seen it. Once above the last meadow the trail scree was tricky, but I managed a straight push to the top of the pass. I stopped for a view of course because it is one of the most beautiful overlooks in the Uintas in my opinion. Then I pushed off the pass, into the basin, and made my way down to Cuberant #2, then finally to my camp at Cuberant #3. 1 hour and 20 minutes from car to camp. I think that may be a new record for me!




I set up my tent and got camp essentials situated. I then put together my fly rod and went fishing. On my sixth cast I had a very nice Cutthroat on the line. They started lining up one right after another for about 45 minutes. Then the action just died down. I figured that was a sign to gather my fire wood for the evening and scope out where I was going to shoot from once night falls. Once I had that done, I figured since the lake went glass I'd scope out a spot on the other side for the Milky Way and do a little more fishing. I found good spot and mentally mapped the route as I would be walking over a creek and a wet area with holes in the dark. I tossed out a line and got a few hits, but nothing landed. I figured maybe I used up my luck earlier. Nope! I moved to a royal wolf and the brookies were savagely attacking it! Some of the funnest fishing all summer as these fish were jumping out of the water striking my fly! Twilight moved in and I headed back to camp to put on the jacket and get some dinner going.




After dark I got my fire going. The moon took a while to set before I could start to shoot the Milky Way so I had a wait for a bit. Once the moon was gone I retraced my steps in the dark and was surprised how well I had memorized my route. the Milky Way was high and bright, but you can see the galactic center is starting to move to the west and it will be out of sight soon. I finished my shots up and then went back to the other side, set up a star trail and let the camera run while I went back to camp to enjoy my fire. I had a nice fire and reminisced of trips in here previously. After a couple of hours I retrieved my camera from the lake, coaled out my fire, and turned in.




Morning came and I got up, made tea and breakfast, then packed it up. I wanted to get over the pass before it got hot, and I timed it perfectly. The down climb on the way out has a lot of loose rock on it so be careful on the way out. There are still flowers in bloom along the trail, and it still looked like full on summer up there. I took my time enjoying the walk and after about an hour and some change I was standing at the Jeep again. Another great trip into a place that I love to visit. Fall is on our doorstep. Just a few more weeks and the leaves will start turning as we draw nearer to winters return in the high terrain. If the weather cooperates I am hoping to get out until the snow returns. Enjoy the post, more adventures to come!

1 comment: