Monday, July 22, 2019

Amethyst Basin, High Uintas Wilderness- July 2019


Glorious weekend backpacking the High Uintas Wilderness! Amethyst Basin was our destination! 6.3 mile hike in on Friday! The trail was mostly dry with some soggy sections. Ostler Creek in the Upper Meadow was too deep to cross at the trail, so we had to cross a sketchy log over rushing water, that after five miles was a feat in itself! Both of us crossed safely! We set camp at Ostler Lake for the weekend. Friday night the stars were so bright! Then about Midnight, the moon came up and lit up the basin like daylight! Such a epic first night up there!









Saturday the skeeters turned up the action which got us packed for a day hike really fast. We did a hurried breakfast then got out of there! We day hiked BR-24 and Amethyst Lake Saturday. It was not far, and a beautiful walk to keep on the move from the mosquitoes. If you stood still they would find you, but if you kept moving they were virtually not around. We pushed up to Amethyst first because the clouds were building. In all the years I have visited this area I have never hiked to the actual Amethyst Lake. We did this time! Its glorious! I tried my hand at some fishing. I got a few hits but nothing landed.





After a bit of a sprinkle from the clouds building we moved down to BR-24. We tried fishing, but I think with how shallow it is I think it may have winter killed out. No action at all on the lake, and not a single hit. We moved back up to Ostler for the evening and got our fire and dinner going. Four miles of hiking round trip on Saturday. After dark we took a walk out on the shore and gazed at the stars and the Milky Way. We returned to our fire and put it out and went to bed.





Sunday morning was chilly, and it seemed to knock the skeeters down substantially. We got up, had tea and breakfast, then packed it up and were on the trail by 10 AM. 6.3 miles and three hours later, we were standing at my Jeep drinking ice cold Gatorade and wear much needed sandals! Our dogs were barking at us! 16.6 miles on trail in three days. One amazing place that was amazing to tick off all the lakes I had not been to. Also great to revisit Ostler Lake once more! I hope you enjoy the photos and videos from the trip! Wildflowers are just starting to pop! Amazing weekend in the High Uintas! More adventures to come!




10 comments:

  1. Hear any sasquatch? There's been sightings at Christmas Meadows, Scow Lake, Ryder Lake and Kermsuh Lake, although I have not heard of any right along the trail to Amethyst Basin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve never had anything weird happen in any of the basins in this area. I’ve been to them all. Cuberant Basin on the other hand, I’ve got some story’s from in there.

      Delete
    2. Oh ok, Cuberant Basin where Garrett Bardsley disappeared.

      Delete
  2. I was with a scout group at Kermsuh Lake for a week and one night we heard a horrible scream/yell from somewhere in the basin. We hadn't seen anyone all week come or go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve had the same experience and other strange happenings in Cuberant Basin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those screams were probably mtn lion. Listen to sound clips of it and see if it sounds familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pics. I’m jealous of your night shots I’m still learning that stuff. Looks like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Backpacking and photography are my life. I’m fortunate to be in good health to do both. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. It was nice to meet you up there. Aside from the bugs it was a perfect weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to meet you as well. Yeah the skeeters were crazy but we didn’t let them ruin our trip. Great weekend up there!

      Delete