Monday, August 27, 2018

Allsop Lake, High Uintas Wilderness- August 2018


Summer is coming to a close and fall is on our door step. Evening temps are cooler and the days are growing shorter. With this in mind, I wanted to keep the theme going this year to visit new places while backpacking. I decided to head into the mountains to visit Allsop Lake in the High Uintas Wilderness. This one has been on the bucket list for years. I was fortunate that my good friend Mike was able to get out and join me for the weekend. We made our way to the trailhead and put on that packs and headed in. The hike started on some boardwalks which protect the meadow this trail begins to traverse. Once you descend to the meadow the trail is easy going. Along the way we passed old cabin remnants from the Tie Hacker days durning the construction of the Trans Continental Railroad. Quite a bit of history on this trail. As we continued on, the trail sticks close to the river and passes some huge meadows. After a bit you reach the wilderness boundary sign. From here the trail wraps into a basin and you end up at the Allsop/Priord junction at about four miles. This is where you begin to climb. A series of short switchbacks put you up to an overlook which was spectacular. The waterfall cascading down the mountain side was a treat to see. As well LaMotte Peak can be seen up the Priord drainage. I would not take a fall here as it is a long ways down to the bottom. Take care when you move through this section.









We ended up in a boggy area which had a lot of cows in it. We had to shoo them off the trail in parts. Once we rounded the canyon wall we started the climb through the endless meadows. Just as you thought you were getting close, there was more meadow to hike. This trail gradually gains elevation, so you are always climbing. We moved into the final meadow and that is when the clouds got dark and the thunder began. A light drizzle was coming down, but we moved up anyways. After 9.7 miles and over 1,700 feet of elevation gain, we arrived at Allsop Lake. We were greeted with thunder and made our way to find our camp. We found a good spot and raced to set up our tents up in case storms opened up on us. The weather gave us a short break to set up camp, have dinner, and a small fire to warm up by. As soon as we were done eating the thunder roared again, and we jumped in the tents as the rain started to downpour. I think I fell asleep for a couple of hours but was woken up half past midnight by a lightning strike that literally shook the ground. I laid there just watching the flashes and listening to the thunder and rain pelting my rain fly. Eventually I nodded off to get some good rest.




Day two brought clear skies and a beautiful sunrise. We got up, made breakfast and coffee, and decided to head out to try some fishing. These fish are fast action and a lot of fun! Mike stayed out fishing and I returned to camp to change out of my night gear into my day attire. While at camp, the clouds were playing with the light on the peaks. I took a nice reflection shot of Yard Peak. I made it back out to the lake, and we started to really fish Allsop Lake. At one point I was counting them out loud as I landed them. At one point, I landed ten in a row! Taking a break from casting, I set up a cool time lapse with the sun in the sky above Allsop Lake. We fished until the evening landing dozens of fish. Average length was 10" to 12" with a couple of them in the 13" to 14" range. We fished barbless and every single fish was returned to the lake alive and well. Catch and release is so rewarding. We know they will be there to make someone else's trip a good time. A north wind was blowing cold air so we got our fire going and made dinner. While eating dinner we watched a momma and baby mountain goat literally walk horizontal across the vertical face of Yard Peak. It was amazing how they could navigate that without falling. Sure was amazing to see and what skill those goats have. I set out the camera for a evening time lapse and settled in for the night. We had a great night by the fire catching up and enjoying some beverages I had hauled in. The clouds were playing games with me on whether I was going to get to shoot a star trail or not. Unfortunately it never cleared up to shoot anything but just a time lapse. That is the way it goes being a photographer. Sometimes things work out. Sometimes they do not. But that would never ruin the fun trip I was having. Eventually I coaled out our fire and turned in for some much needed rest.










Sunday brought more great weather with a little bit of a breeze. I think both of us slept in as it was quiet and peaceful up there. We got up, made breakfast and coffee, and started to pack it up. We were trail ready at 11:30 AM. The hike out was pleasant and we pushed a great pace. We made it to the Allsop/Priord junction in 2 hours and 16 minutes. That is 5.5 miles! We pushed out the last 4.2 miles in much warmer temps. I think both of us were just wanting those cold beverages we left in the car for when we got out. Eventually 3 hours and 51 minutes later we were standing at the car. What an incredible weekend with my good friend Mike. Full on adventure into the alpine! It is bitter sweet this time of year because it is wonderful to get out, but you know we are on borrowed time before winter returns to the high terrain. One of the best trips of the summer for me. It has been a good one. Fall backpacking begins after this weekend. Enjoy the pics, report, and the time lapse videos. More adventures to come!



2 comments:

  1. Those are some cool time lapses, especially the one with the clouds beneath the stars. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It was a beautiful place to visit! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete