Friday, October 2, 2015

Bald Mountain Trail Lakes, Uinta Mountains- September 2015

Another nice weekend was on tap, and I was off once again for another solo adventure. I headed in from Bald Mountain Pass and made my way quickly down to Clegg Lake. After a few snaps, I moved on past Dean Lake, and tried my luck and finally finding Reid Lake. After traversing two meadows, I finally found it! What a beautiful place. But limited camping, and this late in the season there was no running water. So I decided on a spot between Dean and Notch that I had seen the last time I was out there. I got shop set up and gathered my fire wood and filled up my water, and then the sun started to set. I settled in for some dinner and a nice fire for the night. The weather was perfect, and the temps a lot warmer than the previous weekend. After shooting some shots and enjoying the evening, I turned in for some really nice sleep.


Morning came and with it some warmer temps than the day previous. I got up and made coffee, then ate breakfast. I decided to head over to Bench Lake as I had never been over there before. It was a nice walk in the woods and not long after I started I found myself standing at the lake. It is pretty back in there, and still very wild. This would be a great place to camp if you want solitude. I tried my hand at fishing, there were rises on the lake, but alas nothing even touched my flies. After climbing up to an overlook to shoot a shot of the lake, I decided to head up to Dean to try my hand at some Grayling action. I spent hours throwing everything at them, only to have one bite. I decided to try the hopper as a last resort, and first cast had a fat grayling on the line. Every time my hopper hit the surface, it got nailed to the point that after about 15 fish landed, my hopper looked like it went through the shredder. After some amazing fishing evening was setting in, and I went back to camp. I walked down to Notch Lake for some evening fishing, and landed several brookies which were feisty and fun to catch. The sun set and I made my way up to camp for another fantastic evening with tunes, some beverages, and a great fire. Midnight crept in and I turned in.


Dawn brought with it a slight breeze, but nothing out of control. I had a nice morning in camp with coffee and some breakfast. I broke camp and packed it up. I cleaned up this camp pretty good as there were wrappers everywhere and tinfoil and tin can lids left in the fire pit. I hauled it all out with me as to leave this area nice for the next folks who camp there. Afternoon was upon me and I decided to head for the car. The hike out was just beautiful, and with all the ground cover turning colors for fall, it got me thinking this might be my last time out in the Uintas this year. Arriving at the car, the trail head was pretty busy with all the peak baggers heading up Bald Mountain. It has been a great summer in the high terrain. This party is going to move to some fall colors then old man winter will hopefully show up to change this party from dirt dances to snow dances. Enjoy the pics and slideshow, more adventures to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment