Sunday, May 11, 2014

Splitboarding Albion Basin- 5.9.2014

Since Alta is now closed, and it has been snowing for two days up there, I figured why not go for a walk on the splitboard. Crazy light in the canyon to start off on the skin track. Full hot sun, then instant grauple. It did this several times as I climbed the road, then up the meadow. I got to the bottom of the Sugarloaf lift and heard a crack of thunder. I ran into a nice guy named Paul, who is a forecaster for the Utah Avalanche Center. He was kind enough to snap a pic for me. I think he was thinking what I was thinking, get outside! I climbed for a bit more, then decided with the dark clouds coming in, it was time to head down. It was heavy, wet snow all the way to the car. I got a few soft turns, but mostly had to stay in the track to keep my speed up. I made the right call, as I walked up to my car after finishing my run, huge thunder sounded off over the top of Mt Superior. Then it just started dumping grauple. This was the last day out for the season for me, unless we get some freak storm. I think the wet content in this snow is gonna make a fast melt out with the heat we are expecting in the next week. But you never know. I have had 16" of powder on May 31st before. Either way it has been a great season. Time to get out the backpack and fly rod and camera and head into the wilderness.

Albion Basin Tour 5 9 14 from Christian Paul on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment