Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Quail Trail Loop, Central Wasatch, Utah- March 2024


Spring has come early here in the Wasatch Front! I decided to take a day off the snow to get out on the trail, and peek around at the fishing holes for the Tenkara rod. The trail starts just south of the middle school at a easment in the neighborhood. As a youth we used to hike this part of the trail down to a huge chunk of granite that was moved glacially millions of years ago call "Big Rock." I decided to cut this end of the loop down to this area to see it and revisit a plave I have not been in over 30 years! After Big Rock, the creek was shallow and empty enough to cross so I did and ended up at the first step down. I crossed the creek and began investigating the fishing holes. Getting down to one of them, I slipped and fell. Upon doing so my left middle finger jammed a rock and it was pretty ouchy. I continued my hike, and made it to a spot I have seen fish previously and I actually have caught a few. It was tricky with a hurt finger, but I was able to tie one on and I got a few hits, but alas nothing landed. I packed it up and continued on to finish the loop. The trail on the south section is probably the one I would recommend taking in and out if there was high water in Little Cottonwood Creek. I would not make this a loop if it was high water. Fall and spring are the best time to attempt this hike. As I reconnected with the first section of trail, the sky was omnious with grey clouds which the sun was shinning through. A good all around hike for when the upper elevations have been reclaimed by winter. Enjoy the pics and YouTube video! More adventures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment