Monday, August 12, 2019

Drift Creek Falls, Siuslaw National Forest, Oregon- August 2019


Last week I made my annual trip to the Oregon Coast. This is usually my mid season break from the Utah heat, and to enjoy some family time on the coast. Thursday I made my way into the Coastal Range to hike the Drift Creek Falls Trail. This trail is located in the Siuslaw National Forest. The road to get there is paved all the way, but there are some narrow spots and blind corners to navigate. I recommend going at a slower speed and get ready to pull to one side if a car is coming. After the long but beautiful winding drive up and over the range I arrived at the trailhead. There is a $5 fee for day use here so bring a Lincoln with you to put in the envelope. This trail is downhill all the way in, and uphill all the way back. I headed into a much forest with pines, ferns, and lots of leaves of three right off the trail. Old mans beard covers most of the trees here. It really makes you feel like you are in another world hiking this trail.





The hike in is not strenuous at all. Its rather a nice walk which keeps descending into the drainage that Drift Creek flows in. Once you hit the bottom you cross a bridge and do a little uphill on your way to the bridge. The flora in here was wild, and very Squatchy! There is a split just over the bridge that does the north loop which adds one mile to your trip but I was on a time schedule with dinner reservations so I had to skip that this time. Supposedly it leads to a huge grove with Huckleberries and Blueberries and some really old growth pines. Next time for sure! As I made my way the forest began to open up and then the trail puts you right at the edge of the gorge that the falls is in. Here you have to cross a safe but intimidating suspension bridge that is over 100 ft off the ground. I have to admit the first time across got my heart racing. Then after I crossed read the trail map and it said that the bridges capacity was 650,000 lbs. Still thrilling to be over 100 feet up and a damn nice view!






Most people just hike to the bridge and turn around, but I was going to go all the way to the base of the falls to shoot some time lapse and slo mo videos. The bottom part of the trail is a bit slippery so wear some good traction footwear. It is crazy how high up that bridge looks when you are sitting at the base. I spent some time down here enjoying the sound of the falling water and just running the cameras and taking some pictures. For about 45 minutes I had the place to myself which was very nice. After a nice rest I packed it all up and headed back up the trail. The hike out was a good workout and for sure got the heart rate elevated and the legs a good push to keep them fresh for the second half of backpacking season. Even ran into one of the biggest banana slugs on the trail that I have ever seen! Almost as long as my foot!






It was a really nice hike in the Siuslaw National Forest. Upon returning the clouds and marine layer over the coast pulled away for the evening and I was able to get out in the bay and shoot a Star Trail over Lincoln City! I have been here so many times and I have never seen the night sky as clear as it was on this night! Incredible bonus on a day that was just full of fun from the beginning! Enjoy the pics and videos! I have returned to the Wasatch and should be getting back out in our mountains here very soon to finish the last half of this years backpacking season. More adventures to come!





No comments:

Post a Comment